wasting time looking at fun stuff online is crucial to everyone's Internet Health, i think, so here's my loosely-organized collection of links from around the web. some are new, some are old, all are worth checking out.
ARCHIVAL & REVIVAL:
- The Geocities Gallery - one of many geocities archival projects. i like this one the best.
- Queer Zine Archival Project - scans of queer zines dating as far back as 1974
- Escargot - a revival of MSN messenger/windows live messenger
- ANNARCHIVE - a collection of retro software, video games, magazines, and other interesting things
- Old-Games - just what it sounds like: a very large collection of old games to download
- The Big KiSS Page - a collection of downloadable KiSS dolls: digital paperdoll games, playable with the Kisekae Set System. these were typically fanmade, featuring anime characters, and they were super popular in the 90s and early 00s.
- Old Book Illustrations - fantastic collection, absolutely beautiful illustrative art from antique books
- Ruffle - a flash emulator!
- Moderneopets - a revival of classic neopets
- Film Emulator - upload your images and run them through various filters that emulate the look of camera film
- Image to Color Palette - generates a color palette from an uploaded image
- 98.css - css library for recreating the aesthetic of windows 98
- Layout Builder - easily generate a responsive layout template
- Animated-Gifs - a TON of gifs and graphics. organization is a little chaotic but it's a great collection
- Heather's Animations - another classic gif resource, i believe this might be an archive or recreation of the original site?
- Glitter-Graphics - a more 2000s, myspace-style collection of graphics, leans "girly" with dollz and glittery stuff
- Bellsnwhistles - super oldschool graphics. these have been floating around online for a looong time
- Jan's Graphics - blinkies and dolls and such. i just think the design of this site is cute as fuck
- Gillyboo's Gay Graphics - vintage LGBT graphics!
- Dupont Castle - this couple has been building their own castle since the 90s, and they're still active as of 2020. the website also has a list of other castles in the US!
- My One and Only Love - nothing more than a geocities website that a man dedicated to the man he was in love with at the time. caught my attention because they lived (live?) very close to where i currently live. most of the links are broken but this site is just so wholesome, and i hope bill and jim are doing well in the present day
- FTM Transition - the owner of this website, ethan, provided a valuable service to trans dudes everywhere by documenting his transition in detail in the early 00s
- Freaks In Love - "THE BEST SITE ON THE NET FOR QUEERS, PUNKS, FREAKS OR WHATEVER YOU ARE"
- The Figure Drawing LAB - created by ralph m. larmann, a professor of art at the university of evansville. i just love that it's from the art department and it's so aggressively ugly
- The History of Gay Bath Houses - very NSFW, but some super interesting gay history is preserved on this site.
- Captain Packrat - a snapshot of online furry culture in the late 90s
- Avatars! - promotional website for a book published by bruce damer, about the world of 90s virtual avatar communities. this site is wild and has a Lot going on
- The Crypt - virtual exhibition of art depicting female martyrs
- FNM.com - ancient faith no more fansite. cool time capsule of what band fansites looked like in the 90s!
- Writers & Artists Snacking At Work - funny reviews of snacks and candy. i love the old packaging pictured in the reviews.
- Gothic Gardening - a charming little page with information on garden cultivation for goths!