hi! thanks for stopping by.
i'm Surge, just a spooky little gay with a website. sometimes i make art, sometimes i write, but mostly i'm just vibing. the art section of my site is still a work-in-progress, at the moment, but i try to draw somewhat regularly, and i have plans to open a shop in the future as well. i've recently become an Official Old by entering my 30s, and i'm happy about that! as you can imagine given my age, i've been kickin' around the web for a long long time, but this is actually my first time running my own site.
why have a personal website?
the modern personal website is, to me, part creative project and part protest. i'm choosing to branch out beyond the profit-driven walls of the modern web. i want to be more than a mindless consumer gulping down whatever Corporate decides i'm allowed to see. i want to do more than look at the same handful of social media platforms every day. i want to have fun online, because that's what the internet is for!
there are others who have written about this topic much more eloquently than i can: see the Yesterweb Manifesto, the 32-bit Cafe mission statement, and IndieWeb. but i am, in short, rejecting the sorry state of the modern web with a resounding "fuck you".
does this mean i think everything "modern" about the web is universally bad? no! but "modernization is not inherently evil" and "the internet should not be reduced to a measly selection of social platforms owned by rich people who hate the users" are two ideas that can, and should, coexist.
so, the reason for this site's existence is for me to do and say whatever i want. with my own website, i can exist as a queer person without worrying about whether or not my mere existence will be flagged as "adult content". i can express my personality far beyond a profile picture and a bio. and i can form genuine personal connections with other webmasters like me! if that sounds cool to you...you can make a website too! it's fun :)
my about page is the place to go if you want to get to know me a little better. you can find me on other websites via the links in that fancy little box at the top of this page. you can also e-mail me to get in touch directly! because of my Diagnoses™, my presence online is often sporadic, but i do like to talk to people.
you can also check out my first-ever webring, the Transmasculine Pride Webring. now boasting almost 60 members!
- new journal entry about my top surgery experience.
- got a new journal section up and running, now hosted on my site :)
- new site layout; no longer using iframes!
- added a new "extras" section to the site, and a recipes page!
- made some layout changes that had been bugging me for a while :)
- added a feed from my Mastodon account. how often will i use it? i don't know!
- new layout...again! i liked my previous layout a lot, but it used scripts that made things load slower than i'd like.
- did a ton of work on a gallery system for art+photos and spiffed up the site layout a bit.
- added a blog. don't know how much i'll use it, though.
- after fighting for my life with various PHP-based gallery scripts, i just said Fuck It and macguyvered something together myself. so now i have a working art gallery!
- new layout is deployed and (mostly) functional! super pleased with the result.
- began working on a new layout! also got my partner set up with a site of his own.